Friday, October 5, 2012

ready. aim. fire!

On Wednesday I had the chance to handle & fire a gun.
Not a plastic gun nor a water gun but a real one!
A 9mm Glock.
Gun handling is one of the modules we had to go through during our 2 months basic course for senior customs officer.
( I have survived until the 5th week of this course, 5 more weeks to go! Woot! )
For this module, we fired a few rounds in the gun simulation room before being allowed to fire at a proper shooting range the next day.

There were 3 rounds for us to show off our shooting skills on the range.
Centre fire, rapid fire & hostage.
My score was 53, 81 & 27 respectively.
I did the worst for the hostage category but overall I ranked 12th from 34 participants.
Simulation is nothing near like the real thing.
My pistol kept jerking cause I didn't pull the trigger gently & I even closed my eyes a few times after firing.
Dangerous I know but it's just scary.

Two of us were injured during the practice.
A friend had a small cut on her finger when the pistol's slide jerked backwards when she finished firing her rounds.
Another I believe to be the silliest injury self inflicted by a person.
And that person was me.
*hides face in hands*
A bullet shell from the pistol I fired actually flew into my safety goggle & burnt little skin above & below my left eye.
The injury might be minor but damn it hurts.
The reason: I didn't wear my safety google close to my face.
Pfffttt.

Safety measures is always important while loading & especially firing a gun.
So remember to wear your safety google, ear muff (wear them right) and always listen to the shooting instructor.
Don't get too excited or too scared.
Keep calm, take ur aim & pull the trigger.
:)

Sent by DiGi from my BlackBerry® Smartphone

0 hands in the air: