Tuesday, February 1, 2011

do i look that maternal? really?

at a food court,
i was playing with Andika while his mother was eating & his father went to get us drinks.
then a couple who were in their mid 30s (i think) with their 3 children took seats next to our table.
the ever friendly nephew of mine started smiling & giggling at them all the while tried to wriggle his way out from my arms.
he started babbling which eventually caught the attention of the couple & they started to play peek-a-boo with him, obviously entertained by his antics.

Guy: Brapa umor nya? (How old is he?)
Me: 9 bulan. (9 months)
Guy & Wife: Aih, jadi tuboh nya o. X kedak 9 bulan. (He's much bigger for someone his age)
Wife: What's his name?
Me: Andika.
Wife: Nama pendekar eh. (Sounds like a warrior's name)
Guy: Ne bapak nya? Ne tauk kamek kenal. (Where's the father? Who knows we might know each other)
Me: Nya pegi meli aek tek. (He just got up to get some drinks)

at that point, i felt like it's just a normal conversation between strangers.
until my bro in law got to our table & i saw the guy's face in such disbelief that i realized that the guy might have thought that Andika's my son & my bro in law was my husband.
fyi, my bro in law was 9 years my junior.
hate to break it to u but i'm no cougar.
comprender?
*rolls on the floor laughing*

later,
at a bookstore,
i bumped into a colleague who also thought Andika's my son eventhough at that time my sis was holding him & my bro in law was nowhere in sight.
by then, it wasn't that funny anymore.
-__-"

but come to think of it, much better that they thought i'm the mother instead of the Indonesian maid / nanny.
:D

1 hands in the air:

Ida BorneoLove said...

hahaHHAaa!!

You're actually looking motherly, that's what they meant! Bukan macam "Mak Orang", capish?? Hee hee..

Love your writing :D